Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Friday I'm In Love!

Happy 80th Birthday to the Say Hey Kid, Willie Mays!! 
 
With it being his birthday, I got to thinking about old time baseball players that I never got to see play.  I’m trying to come up with a list of players that I never saw, that I really wish I had seen play.  I got my list, and then tried to narrow it down to the top five.  It was a lot harder than I thought.  But, here it goes.
 
#5 – Willie Mays
 
#4 – Ted Williams 
 
#3 – Roberto Clemente 
 
#2 – Al Kaline   
 
#1 – Mickey Mantle 
 
Sure, I could have gone really old school and said Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Shoeless Joe Jackson or Cy Young, but I decided to stick with this list.
 
What about a list of great baseball players that I have seen play in person?  Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, George Brett, Cal Ripken Jr., Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg and Ichiro are the ones that come to mind.  I once saw Nolan Ryan at a game, although he didn’t pitch, he was there walking from the bullpen to the dugout.  Same with Pete Rose, I saw him as manager of the Reds, but never as a player.
 
What’s that you say?  Some other greats that I’ve seen from other sports.  Well…  I could go on all day about hockey players, Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Hasek, Bourque, Roy, LaFontaine,  Sakic, Lidstrom, Robitaille, Crosby… 
 
I’ve not been to a lot of pro football games, but I did see Barry Sanders set his career high in rushing yards on a Sunday night against the Bucs.
 
I saw Hall of Famers Magic Johnson, Chris Mullin, Isaiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Patrick Ewing, Larry Bird, David Robinson and Charles Barkley play. 
 
It’s fun being a sports fan!!
 
I just heard Indigo Girls covering Uncle John’s Band, which was originally done by Grateful Dead.  Oh.  My. Goodness.  I pray that I never hear that again.  I wanted to change the station, but it was like a train wreck and I had to stay there and listen to it.  Wow was it bad.
 
Liberals love jobs, but hate the employers that provide the jobs.  How does that work?
 

No comments: