Friday, January 4, 2013

An Epic Hawaiian Adventure. Food Edition!

The trip to Hawaii is over and we're back home. One minute, Benjamin was on the beach in Waikiki making sand castles and the next minute he is in our front yard making a snowman. We left light rain and 80º in Honolulu and came home to snow and 28º.

It's not going to be possible for me to recap our entire trip in one blog posting, but I'm going to give it my best shot to provide you with some of our favorites from the trip. Favorite spots, favorite events, favorite eats and favorite people.

One of our favorite places to go on Kauai for a snack was Uncle's Shave Ice. This is located within The Shops at Kukui'ula Village, which was just around the corner from our condo at Lawai Beach Resort. More flavors of shave ice than you can shake a stick at! I personally recommend Passion Fruit, Pineapple & Tiger's Blood

When you go, be sure and tell Uncle Rick hello for us!

Another favorite place to eat was Shrimp Station. We enjoyed both of their locations, one in Kapaa and one in Waimea. The shrimp tacos cannot be beat! You'll notice that shrimp tacos became a staple of my diet on this trip. Loved each and every one of them.

Here is a list of my top eating establishments that we visited:

Shrimp Station

North Shore Tacos Sweet Pork Tacos are beyond description!

Puka Dog This place is so good we named our dog after it!

9th Island Sports Bar & Grill The burgers were amazing, but the prices were a little high.

Brick Oven Pizza We visited the one in Kalaheo and I very much liked the buffet. Although, at $14.95...

Scotty's Beachside BBQ Get the pulled pork nachos!!

Bubba Gump Shrimp I know... it's a chain, but I had never been there. The only reason it's not higher on my list was the cost. I got the shrimp tacos and loved every single bite. So much so that I might drive to Chicago just to get them again!

Hula Dog It's Puka Dog, but with a different name.

Hula Grill Great burgers, but the service left a little bit to be desired. I kind of got the feeling that our server wanted to be anywhere but there that night.

Of course there are a few places that we visited that are not on our list of places to try again. Poipu Tropical Burgers in Koloa is one. The food was good, but the service was awful.

Bubba Burgers in Koloa is another. We had heard quite a bit about this place, so we gave it a try. Over priced and under impressed. That's how I would describe Bubba's.

Finally, I didn't care for Savage Shrimp in Koloa. That could be my fault because of what I ordered. Maybe we'll try it again, maybe we won't!

I'd like to say we avoided McDonald's, Burger King, Subway and Denny's, but we didn't. They were great in a pinch or when we were in a hurry.

One of the things that surprised me most on the trip was the fact that McDonald's had a $1 Menu and $1 soda. The $1 Taro Pie was ono!

Well, that took a little longer than I had planned so I'm going to call it good. Next time I'll be back to talk about some other Hawaiian stuff. Until then, Aloha!!

1 comment:

Kandisue75 said...

Thanks for sharing Dennis! I love hearing about your trip! I'm glad you had fun!