Saturday, January 12, 2013

An Epic Hawaiian Adventure. Sightseeing Edition!

A couple of things that I don’t like about Hawaii. Specifically the island of Kauai. First, I don’t think there is a speed limit over 40MPH on the island. Granted, there is no real highways either. Thank goodness for cruise control in the rental cars. It’s sometimes hard to keep it under 40. The one lane bridges can be a pain in the arse, too. Especially when oncoming traffic isn’t feeling the Aloha Spirit.

Second, the selection of radio stations on the island isn’t good for someone that doesn’t like Top 40/Pop type of music. I’m not in to that genre at all, and it made for some rough radio days. Thank goodness it was Christmas and there was a station playing a lot of Christmas music. Next time I’ll be sure to bring my XM Radio with me. A side note, the Mazda 6 we rented while on Kauai did not have an auxiliary jack for me to plug in the iPhone to listen to music there, either.

Other than the roosters at 5:00AM, I cannot really think of anything else that I don’t like about Kauai. I’m not going to get started on Oahu, though.

We are creatures of habit, my family and I. Seems like we stuck to the same routine this time as we did last, visiting all the same spots again. But let’s face it, who doesn’t want to see Waimea Canyon, Wailua Falls and Opaekaa Falls every chance they get?

We did eliminate Fern Grotto this trip, but I think I’d like to add it back on to our next itinerary.

We stopped by Ke’e Beach, Hanalei Bay, Kauapea Beach, Lumaha’I Beach and Tunnels Beach. I think all but Hanalei Bay were closed due to high surf, but still breathtaking sights. We added Lydgate Park and Salt Pond Beach Park to our beach list this trip, having not visited them in the past. Both were great for our son, as they were protected from the high surf and had great snorkeling. We saw two Monk Seals at Poipu Beach. Never saw one at the beach in front of Lawai Beach Resort, as we did last trip.

Took the sunset dinner cruise to Na Pali Coast with Captain Andy’s. Fantastic time, but the large swells in the ocean got to me and caused me to recycle my brunch to the fish. We saw several whales, which was a highlight of our trip.

The Garden Luau at Smith’s Tropical Paradise can’t be beat. I’ve done that twice now, and it’s always going to be at the top my list of outings when we go back. Love the food, love the show and love the gardens.

There were some things we had hoped to do, but didn’t get to. Most notably the Christmas lights at the county building in Lihue. We drove past them on the way from the airport to LBR, but never got a chance to stop and see them up close and personal. One of these times I want to walk around Koloa, Hanalei Bay and some other towns to visit the little shops there. Maybe next time when I’m not traveling with a six year old.

Until next time, Aloha!

No comments: